Liechtenstein vs Portugal: Can Portugal continue their winning streaks today?
Portugal has won eight straight group games and already qualified for next year’s event. As for this far, the team has been defensively great under Roberto Martinez with only two goals allowed. Coach Martinez will have an opportunity to introduce the Portuguese squad to the group’s last place team in the next game.
However, Liechtenstein will be hosting and hoping to earn their first point in the Euro 2024 qualifiers against Portugal. Funfstuck managed eight consecutive defeats for Liechtenstein with a horrid goal difference throughout the group stage. They will fight with integrity – none more so than against Portugal, the hardest nut to crack from the group.
Let’s take a look at today’s match highlights:
1st half begins!!!
- The game is on at the Rheinpark stadium for the first full minute!
- In the 10th minute, Cancelo received a short pass from Fernandes in the middle of the pitch that made it possible for him to dribble between various defenders until he reached the penalty area of Liechtenstein. A surprise shot outside of boot tried by the Portugal defender went past the goal keeper and behind for a corner kick.
- At 18 minutes, Felix passed the ball in from the left, moved it with his right and cross the ball in to the box. However, the defense cleared it out of the cross. Portugal is going with deep crosses due to the fact that Liechtenstein has a compact and organized presence in the midfield which makes it difficult for Martinez’s team to pass centrally.
- Twenty-four minutes into the game, Jota tried to dribble Luchinger who was in front of him. On the other hand, Luchinger suffered his first yellow card of the match courtesy of a yellow Liechtenstein midfielder who pulled him down.
- A wonderful chance in the thirty-minute. Fernandes gave a pass to Silva on the right, who saw Cancelo making a run. Cancelo sent a cross to the front post where an unmarked Ramos headed the ball. Nevertheless, he rather shockingly hit the net with a header. He should, however, have at last tried the goalkeeper for such a place.
- During the 37th minute of play, Portugal mounted an attack starting at the right flank with Cancelo who crossed over towards the back post. Cross came up to Felix, who dribbled the ball but then attempted to shoot with his left foot to the striker. As a matter of fact, he miscalculated to a large extent and his shot veered off and went out of bounds.
- Wow, what an attempt in the 45 +2 minute by Ronaldo. Fernandes sent a tempting cross into the box that was directed to the Portuguese striker. However, this was not the case as Ronaldo spectacularly did an overhead kick but sadly it went wide from the goal. What would have been an electrifying climax if he had done an acrobatic and scored?
- A close goal! in 46 minutes! Within the first few seconds of the second half, they almost scored. Silva executed a good play in the right wing and sent a cross onto the front post. The ball was in position to meet Ronaldo, but his shot hit the post and missed the target narrowly!
- Thirty minutes later! It’s a goal! Portugal takes the lead 1-0!! Finally, Martinez’s team has broken through! Jota found himself running with the ball from a wide position on the pitch after it had located him. Jota then provided the ideal through ball to Ronaldo, who struck the ball beyond Buchel!! A marvelous end and Portugal started the second half well when they scored the first goal.
- At 57, it’s a goal!! It's 2-0!! That is where Buchel commits a major blunder! However, the long ball sails beyond the defense and finds Cancelo who then pokes at an ill-judged shot by the Liechtenstein goalkeeper Buchel who had rushed out of his box but missed the ball completely. Cancelo then turns to his left foot and shoots the ball into the vacant net, making it a double-score of Portugal. It’s a moment that Buchel will wish to erase from his memory!
- A great chance for Liechtenstein in the 61st min! Fernandes was dispossessed and Hasler made a through ball that bypassed the Portuguese defence. Salanovic ran towards the goal leaving Neves behind. He made an effort to send the ball above Sa, but the latter had made contact with the ball and Portugal had cleared. It constituted a once-in-a hundred years chance for the home side.
- Felix hit the net at the 71st minute, but they blew the whistle for offside. Jota had control of the ball when a cross was played in the box. Jota made a slight touch on the ball that fell to Felix, but his boot was off side and therefore the goal does not stand.
- At 77, Funfstuck changed again with Sele, who had received a hit to his leg, withdrawn from the event. Hofer came on for Liechtenstein.
- It’s a goal in 82nd minute!! It's 3-0!! After Felix had been fouled, Vitinha was awarded a free-kick just outside the box. Vitino whipped it on to the front post and Ramos threw himself at it. Inside the box, the ball crept over the line as Buchel attempted in vain to swipe it back into play. The referee awarded the goal! They might have been messy, but every point counts!
- After a very long VAR check, the referee says “Goal disapproved”, offside in 86th min.
- Cancelo did well enough to be replaced by Mario in the 87th minute. Goncalves replaces Felix who has now moved to the bench and joins Portugal’s team as the latest player.
- The last player to join the action on the pitch for Portugal is Joao Neves, substituting Felix on the bench.
- When the game reached 90+1 minute, Funfstuck made another substitution, with Marxer entering the fray to replace Salanovic.
Seven minutes added to the game.
- The final yellow card of the match was issued to Jota in the 90+5 minute for a dangerous fouly on Malin.
Portugal won ninth game in Euro qualification, scoring 2:0 against Liechtenstein. Portugal dominated possession in the first half but found it difficult to breach a stubborn defence of their opponents. On the other hand, Ronaldo scored an early goal for the team during the second half, while Buchel made a blunder and allowed Cancelo to score the second goal. This ensured that Portugal took the 3 points as well. Liechtenstein tries to grab its first point against Luxembourg, and Portugal tries to keep up the winning run hosting Iceland. That concludes today's match, goodbye!