AFC Bournemouth vs Wolverhampton Wanderers: Who’s going to win today?
AFC Bournemouth vs Wolverhampton Wanderers: Who's going to win today?
Bournemouth's decision to replace Gary O'Neil with Andoni Iraola as their head coach in the summer has yet to yield positive results. They are one of only two Premier League teams, along with Sheffield United, who have yet to secure a victory this season.
Bournemouth hasn't won any of their last 12 Premier League games dating back to the end of April, and they currently sit in 19th place in the table. They have scored the fewest goals (five) within the department.
Gary O'Neil, who is presently the boss at Wolves, changed into the manager of Bournemouth the final time the Cherries won a Premier League home sport, which turned into six months in the past once they defeated Leeds United four-1. Since then, O'Neil's Wolves have had an inconsistent start in the Premier League, accumulating eight points from their first eight matches in the top flight.
Wolves have faced challenges in their away matches for a while, managing to win just one of their last 12 Premier League away games. With Bournemouth, they haven't lost in any of their previous three Premier League encounters, though. In addition to a 2-1 win in November 2019, they also had draws of 1-1 and 0-0 in February 2019 and August 2022, respectively.
Let's take a look at these important events that happened during the match:
The match has started in Bournemouth as the house aspect kicks off!
- In the 3rd minute, Scott, making his first Premier League begin, takes control of the ball in Wolves' half and tries to find Tavernier's run down the left. However, Kilman steps in and intercepts the bypass, halting Bournemouth's attack completely.
- In the 8th minute, what a close name! Pedro Neto makes an excellent run from the right, weaving his way interior, and unleashes a stunning shot towards the pinnacle nook. Unfortunately for him, the ball hits the crossbar and springs again into play.
- Cunha then attempts to poke in the rebound, but it goes straight at Neto. Bournemouth manages to escape unscathed!
- In the 14th minute, Traore takes a speculative shot from outside the box, and Zabarnyi heads it wide for a corner. Wolves make a couple of attempts to deliver a dangerous cross, but their attack is eventually thwarted. Neto is able to dive low and gather the loose ball, ending the sequence.
- In the 17th minute, Bournemouth takes the lead! The Cherries strike first as Brooks plays the ball in from the right side of the area. Billing receives the pass and cuts it across to Solanke, who cleverly slots in his fifth goal of the season with a fine-flicked finish. It's the result of a lovely move, and Bournemouth leads 1-0!
- In the 23rd minute, Traore is overeager to win the ball from Solanke in midfield and brings his opponent down to the turf. It results in another free-kick as the previously wide-open game starts to lose its momentum.
- In the 29th minute, a close opportunity! Pedro Neto advances quickly, reaching the edge of Bournemouth's area and passing the ball to Cunha on the left. However, instead of taking a shot, Cunha unexpectedly pulls the ball back towards his teammate, allowing Billing to block it behind for a corner. It's a missed chance for Wolves!
- In the 31st minute, Kelly is penalized for a challenge on Doherty as Wolves attempt to break down the right. The referee awards a free-kick to the visitors, who are yet to register a shot on target, although Pedro Neto did hit the crossbar earlier in the match.
- In the 42nd minute, Cunha initiates a counter-attack, surging forward through the middle and playing a low pass through to Pedro Neto. However, Neto's subsequent cross curls straight at Bournemouth's goalkeeper, who confidently collects the ball. Cunha is issued a yellow card for displaying dissent towards the referee.
One minute of extra time was added to the half-time.
- In the 46th minute, Dawson returns to the pitch as the fourth official indicates four minutes of first-half stoppage time. Can Wolves manage to register a shot on target or potentially equalize before halftime?
- In the 48th minute, Kerkez is caught off guard by Doherty's run inside and brings down his opponent with a robust challenge. As a result, he is booked by the referee.
Second half starts
- In the 47th minute, just after half-time, Wolves level the score! Right after the break, substitute Doyle passes to Pedro Neto, who embarks on a powerful run through the center. He puts Bournemouth's defense on the back foot and sets up Cunha to slot home the equalizer! Cunha finds the top corner, and it's now 1-1!
- In the 54th minute, the situation escalates, and a red card is shown: Cook reacts to Hwang's push by delivering a headbutt to his opponent. He is sent off, and Bournemouth is reduced to 10 men!
- In the 56th minute, things are falling apart for Bournemouth after the break, and they are at risk of falling apart completely. Down to 10 men, Scott commits a reckless foul and concedes a free-kick. Hwang heads the ball well over from Pedro Neto's set-piece.
- In the 64th minute, Billing concedes a corner by extending his leg as Hwang attempts to deliver a pass for Pedro Neto in the box. Then, Wolves win another corner, but it comes to nothing as Cunha's touch is too heavy.
- In the 70th minute, SAVE! Sa is called into action as he dives low to his right to deny Christie's low strike! The shot lacked the necessary pace and precision to beat the Wolves goalkeeper, but Bournemouth is beginning to show more attacking intent.
- In the 74th minute, MISS! After Neto makes a sharp save, diving to his right to parry away Cunha's 20-yard strike, Hwang has a chance to slot home the rebound, but instead, he slices it well wide of the left-hand post! That's a missed opportunity!
- In the 75th minute, O'Neil takes the opportunity to make another substitution: Gomes is off, and Sarabia comes on.
- In the 81st minute, it's a missed chance! In an impressive series of passes, Ait-Nouri gets the ball on the left side and passes it to Pedro Neto near the penalty area. Unfortunately, Neto couldn't position himself correctly and ended up shooting the ball over the goal.
- In the 83rd minute, Traore was a bit late in a tough tackle against Rothwell. He accidentally hit Rothwell and got a yellow card as a punishment.
- In the 88th minute, Wolves take the lead! Bournemouth concedes a really bad goal! Neto makes a mistake with a risky pass from his six-yard box, and Hwang takes advantage of it. Hwang passes the ball to Kalajdzic, who has just come into the game. Kalajdzic quickly makes a difference by calmly scoring into the bottom-right corner, getting Wolves ahead 2-1!
- As the extra time gets added, in the 91st minute, after an unnecessary collision with Aarons well inside Bournemouth's territory, Sarabia receives a yellow card from the referee.
- In the 95th minute, there's only one minute left of added time, and Bournemouth is desperately trying to move the ball forward. But the Wolves keep getting the ball back and are not rushing to make their next move.
And that's it! Wolves completely changed the game after halftime and handed Bournemouth another home loss. They came from behind to win 2-1. In the second half, Wolves played aggressively, and goals from Cunha and his substitute Kalajdzic secured the victory against a weakened Bournemouth team.