Chelsea vs Arsenal: The most-awaited game of 2023
Chelsea vs Arsenal: The most-awaited game of 2023
Arsenal secured a significant victory against Manchester City on matchday eight, with Gabriel Martinelli scoring late to break their poor run of form against the champions. This win could prove pivotal in the title race. Now, they face the Blues, a team they've beaten in six of their last seven encounters. Another victory would help them maintain their momentum and take them to the top of the table.
Chelsea is back in action following the international break, looking to build on their momentum with three consecutive wins across different competitions. After a challenging start to the season, Mauricio Pochettino's team secured victories against Brighton in the EFL Cup and triumphed over Fulham and Burnley in the Premier League. A win against Arsenal would indicate that the Blues are regaining their form under the Argentine manager.
Let's start with the match updates now!
The match begins!!!
The players have taken the field, so the match should begin shortly.
- In the 2nd minute of the game itself, there's an opportunity! Chelsea applies early pressure on the visitors as Zinchenko struggles to clear. Gallagher takes two shots that are both blocked before Fernandez gets to a loose ball and curls his attempt over the crossbar.
- In the 6th minute, Saka makes a run down the right flank, but the Chelsea defender, Cucurella, holds his ground and draws a foul from Saka.
- In the 9th minute, Palmer is brought down by Rice in the middle of the pitch. Chelsea is awarded the free-kick, and the referee takes no further action.
- In the 11th minute, Zinchenko is shown a yellow card after a careless challenge on Mudryk. There's a big twist that's coming up now!
- In the 12th minute, there's a penalty appeal! Mudryk goes for a header from a cross on the right, and it hits Saliba's arm. The referee initially dismisses it, but the VAR will review the decision.
- In the 14th minute, we can see a VAR review! Penalty for Chelsea! Following a review of the incident on the side-screen, the referee changes his original decision and awards a penalty to Chelsea.
- In the 15th minute, there's a Goal! Palmer scores!!! It's 1-0 for Chelsea!!!!! Palmer keeps his cool and confidently converts the penalty. He places his shot low into the left side of the net, and Raya dives the opposite way. Chelsea takes the lead, breaking the deadlock.
- In the 17th minute, Palmer's goal put an end to Arsenal's impressive streak of 335 minutes without conceding a goal in away matches.
- In the 25th minute, Jesus outpaces Sanchez to reach the ball on the right wing. He attempts to shoot towards the empty net, but Chelsea defenders quickly get back to block the attempt. Jorginho also has an opportunity to shoot but chooses to pass instead.
- In the 26th minute, there's a block! White delivers a low pass to Jesus inside the Chelsea box. Jesus turns and takes a shot, but his effort is deflected behind by Thiago Silva, denying a potential goal-scoring opportunity.
- In the 29th minute, it's so close! Palmer gets to a through ball from Gallagher and takes a left-footed shot quickly, threading it between Gabriel's legs, but it goes just wide of the right post by inches. Chelsea was inches away from extending their lead.
- In the 40th minute, Odegaard needs to be in top form. He receives a pass from Jorginho but delivers his first-time pass to the wrong side of Jesus.
- In the 44th minute, it's over the bar now! Palmer plays a pass around the corner for Sterling, who charges down the right wing. Sterling then cuts the ball back to Gusto, who's in a good position, but his left-footed shot goes over the crossbar. A missed opportunity for Chelsea to extend their lead.
Two minutes get added to the game, and in the 47th minute, the half-time is now announced.
Both teams are now on the ground at Stamford Bridge. Let's see who is going to win this match.
- In the 48th minute, it's a goal!!!!!! Mudryk scores!!!!! It's 2-0 for Chelsea!!!! The Blues doubled their lead as Mudryk took advantage of Raya being caught off balance at the near post. Mudryk tries to cross the ball but ends up finding the back of the net. Chelsea launches a counter-attack down the left wing with numbers, and Gallagher passes to Mudryk. He aims for Sterling at the back post, but his cross sails over Raya and into the goal. Chelsea extends their lead!
- In the 53rd minute, it's a wide! Martinelli makes a move inside from the left wing and takes a shot towards the far corner, but his attempt is deflected wide of the target by Thiago Silva. Arsenal misses a chance to get on the scoreboard.
- In the 57th minute, it's nearly a mistake! Raya almost commits another error at the back as he passes the ball straight to Palmer. However, the goalkeeper recovers in time to block Palmer's shot, pushing it wide of the target. Raya is having a shaky moment in this match.
- In the 67th minute, Sterling sets up Jackson for a one-on-one opportunity against Raya, but the Arsenal goalkeeper stands firm and smothers the ball at Jackson's feet, denying the chance for Chelsea to extend their lead.
- In the 70th minute, Chelsea continues to apply pressure, with Sterling attempting to get a shot on goal, but Saliba stands his ground defensively. Palmer also tries a long-range shot, but his strike goes wide of the target. Chelsea remains persistent in their offensive efforts.
- In the 77th minute, it's a goal!!!!! Arsenal pulled one back!!!! It's 2-1 now!!!! Arsenal is back in the game as Rice takes advantage of a mistake by Sanchez. Sanchez makes an errant pass from the back to Rice, who takes a first-time shot and places it into the bottom-left corner. A lifeline for Arsenal out of nowhere!
- In the 80th minute, we're approaching an exciting final 10 minutes at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea has dominated the game, but Sanchez's error has given Arsenal a glimmer of hope, setting the stage for an intense finish.
- In the 84th minute, it's a marvelous goal!!!!! Trossard equalizes!!!! It's 2-2 now!!!! Arsenal levels the score as Trossard guides Saka's cross into the net at the back post! Saka has enough room and time to deliver a dangerous ball to the back post from the right wing. Trossard times his run perfectly and pokes the ball past Sanchez. The traveling fans are ecstatic behind the goal, and we're back on level terms!
- In the 86th minute, it's so close! White sends a lofted pass over the top for Nketiah to chase in the inside-right channel. Nketiah connects with his right foot and shoots his effort across the goal, but it narrowly misses the left post by inches. Arsenal came close to taking the lead there.
Seven minutes are now added to the game time.
- In the 95th minute, Jackson makes a strong run down the right wing. He finds space to enter the box and takes a low and powerful shot, but Raya makes a solid save to deny the effort. Arsenal's goalkeeper comes up big to keep the score level.
And that's it! It's a tie.
What a fantastic game for the audience and online viewers. It was a nail-biter; however, there were no winners as the match came towards the end. What an excellent pullback by the Arsenal team. It's been a great game, and Arsenal earns a valuable point and moves level on points with Manchester City following an entertaining 2-2 draw against an improving Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. It was an exciting and closely contested match between two top Premier League sides.