Chelsea vs Man City: Can Man City Continue Their Winning Streaks Today!
Man City team of Pep Guardiola still keeping it on; with nine victories from eleven games, which equals and overtakes Liverpool and Arsenal being on top both in terms of points accumulation and goal difference. This year has started in the same manner as last with the city aiming at another treble having achieved three major titles last term.
There has been a mixed season for the host team, winning four and also losing four out of the eleven matches played in the Premier League. However, just losing once in their last five games hints at a boost of energy. The home team recently had a remarkable performance as they beat Tottenham 4-1 which became the first defeat for Spurs this season.
Let’s take a look at today’s match highlights:
- In the 1st minute, the match has officially started as the hosts take the opening kick-off! The game is now underway.
- In the 5th minute, their attempt down the left wing was only stopped by an important intervention of Foden and they finally took a left-sided corner. The set-piece might not have resulted in a goal but it’ is a plus for the hosts as they demonstrate creating opportunities.
- In the 12th minute, after all, when on court, he chose to score against his previous club rather than provide an assist for the near-goal colleagues. However, this was a wrong choice since Manchester City put enough players over him and blocked the ball effectively off the line.
- In the 19th minute, the ball was first deflected as far away; but Gallagher received it some 25 yards short of a goal. Then, at some point, Gallagher calmed on the ball and sent a diving shot on the target. Nevertheless, he was not that tough for Ederson who just managed an easy save.
- In the 21st minute, a penalty for Manchester City! Silva provided a cross from the left into the box area, and Cucurella tracked behind with his back post watching over the man-marking of Haaland. Observed by the referee, it gave reasons for the award of a penalty. Nevertheless, the validity of this decision has been put under a Video Assistant Referee (VAR) review.
- In the 22nd minute, Haaland was brought down by Cucurella’s pull and he was issued a yellow card. The Chelsea player being in the wrong position made futile efforts to stop Haaland from getting the ball and was shown red card by the referee.
- Palmer was shown a yellow card for expressing disagreement with the referee's decision to award a penalty, an act deemed as dissent in the 24th minute.
- In the 25th minute, it’s a goal for Manchester City! Erling Haaland successfully converted the penalty, confidently stepping up to take the shot. He expertly deceived Sanchez, sending him in the wrong direction, and precisely placed the ball into the bottom-left corner of the net. This puts City ahead with a 1-0 lead at Stamford Bridge!
- In the 29th minute, it’s a goal for Chelsea! Thiago Silva levels the score! Gallagher directed a corner kick at the near post whereby Thiago Silva took advantage of the zonal marking of Manchester City. Immediately, he kicked a header towards the net, and the ball flew over Ederson, landing at the back of the net. It is now one-all at Stamford Bridge.
- In the 34th minute, Foden nearly got his way back as he dribbled towards his left and sent a shot towards the post. It almost looked like it was headed for goal, but with anguish in their hearts, City supporters, the ball only grazed the side netting.
- In the 37th minute, it’s again a goal for Chelsea! The ex-player scores a goal against Raheem Sterling! However, Palmer successfully threaded a pass through to James who somehow evaded Manchester City’s defenders. Subsequently, James accurately passed a square ball to Sterling at the back post. In so doing, Sterling boldly kicked the ball past his former team colleagues to bring Chelsea two goals ahead of the champions!
- In the 42nd minute, it’s a crucial save! Bernardo Silva assists Haaland in preparing for an imminent shot from a low angle at the bottom right corner. Almost sure would level the match, though his goal scored would be expected but Sanchez made a great save. Haaland takes a shot at him as he dives to his left, but he is still able to parry it away and maintain Chelsea’s lead.
- In the 44th minute, Sterling skillfully made his way into Manchester City’s penalty area before he was dispossessed by Jackson for himself. The attempt was weak and straight at Ederson, who saved the ball and ended that effort.
- In the 45+1 minute, it’s a goal for Manchester City! The score is now 2-2! City carried out a short corner, wherein Bernardo Silva sent a very tempting cross into the box. Akanji was found unmarked and executed a perfect header with an unbeatable precision. He turned to Sanchez without any time to react and the ball ended in the back of the net, levelling for Arsenal!
- In the 45+3 minute, this is surely going to be highly aggravating to Chelsea, considering they made a great comeback from a goal behind and then took a lead. However, this moment serves as a stark reminder of Manchester City's prowess: even if they lose focus for just a few seconds playing against this type of opponent can be dangerous. City pounced on the momentary blunder of Chelsea that defined the relentlessness of elite football competition.
- In the 47th minute, it’s a goal for Manchester City! The City is now 3-2! In City’s right-hand side, Foden had excellent control and patience in taking the ball off Cucurella who gave him too much room. He then gave it to Alvarez, who scored an amazing Argentina cross towards the back post. Haaland could hardly miss such an opportunity. He pushed the ball into the net with his foot for the second time in this intense clash and brought Manchester City back again on top!
- In the 56th minute, Doku tried to win a penalty while falling in the Chelsea penalty area. Nonetheless, the referee considered this as foul play and thus, the winger got a yellow card.
- In the 59th minute, Manchester City replaced Doku on an already-booked dive. Jack Grealish who was brought in to freshen City’s attack takes his place at the left flank.
- In the 60th minute, Caicedo was booked with a yellow card for a foul on Grealish while the opponents attacked. He managed an effective challenge which stopped the counter and led to the booking.
- In the 64th minute, Pochettino has adopted an attack-oriented approach, replacing Mudryk with Fernandez. The expectation is that Mudryk’s speed will be essential, especially in the later stages of the game hence it might add a new dimension to the squad’s offensive approach.
- In the 67th minute, it’s a goal for Chelsea! Wow! This is a great match that is now 3-3! An opportunity came up for Gallagher to fire a strong distant shot right at Ederson. However, the Manchester City goalkeeper was unable to deal with it properly as it ended up in a dangerous area. Seizing it, Jackson took the ball and expertly kicked it into the bottom corner, thus, once again equalizing Chelsea in this exciting match!
- In the 72nd minute, Rodri received a yellow card for his rough challenge on Palmer, where he knocked Palmer to the ground. This action led to him being penalized by the referee.
- In the 75th minute, Chelsea had a big opportunity to make it 4 – 3 at a critical point. However, there was a surprise move that came at some point in the game. Sterling won the ball high up the field and then passed it to his right, where Gusto was waiting to take a shot. Yet, Gusto, more familiar with his role as a right wing-back, lobbed his attempt over the crossbar, wasting an excellent chance to score for Chelsea. This was a huge relief for the visiting team who almost ended up trailing behind.
- In the 79th minute, he arrives at the stadium in which he stayed for five years at Chelsea just after switching to Manchester City this particular year. In a crucial moment, he takes over from Alvarez, adding a tinge of nostalgia and emotion to the clash that will resonate with Kovacic and his fans as well.
- In the 86th minute, it’s a goal for Manchester City! 4-3! Goal by Rodri. The champions take a breath of relief after reclaiming the lead in an electrifying affair that has already seen seven goals. The first shot by Kovacic missed target though the ball fell to Rodri outside the box. Taking the time quickly, Rodri hit a powerful shot on target. However, Silva’s effort to block the shot unknowingly misled Sanchez the goalkeeper, allowing the ball to roll into the back of their own net. Fortunately, this stroke of luck enables Manchester City to be ahead again in this exciting and high-scoring match!
- In the 90th minute, as a desperate measure of boosting Chelsea’s effort at securing a late equalizer, Pochettino resorts to making a substitution by replacing Caicedo with Broja. This change shows that they are becoming more aggressive as the game comes to an end.
- In the 90+2 minute, an incredible turn of events! Chelsea has been awarded a penalty and thus, an additional occasion to make a level score. This happened when Dias, an earlier substitution, took down Broja just inside Manchester City’s penalty box. The referee had no reason to doubt as he gave them a penalty that could have helped them to equalize once again in this thrilling game.
- In the 90+4 minute, in addition, it led to the situation where the emotions were running high on the field after a penalty was awarded which resulted in a tense altercation. The fracas, however, saw Jackson yellow-carded for his part in it. The occurrence of this event underlines how tense the atmosphere was and what was at stake. Grealish was shown a yellow card for his involvement in the on-field commotion. His actions during this heated moment resulted in him being penalized by the referee.
- In the 90+5 minute, it’s a goal! Palmer scores a penalty levelling it for Chelsea! Another drama occurs when the referee steps into the field and gives a penalty to Palmer, who faced his old club of fifteen years. Ederson, Manchester City’s goalkeeper had correctly guessed the direction but the higher level of Palmer’s shot enabled it to fly over him and into the net. This is a thrill as the tally scores 4-4 at Stamford Bridge, which makes the game even more remarkable.
- In the 90+7 minute, Sterling was sent off for a late challenge on Foden, a toughness, which summed up the nature of the game. Firstly, this incident awards Manchester City a free kick that might be advantageous for it from which to shoot. With the match already filled with goals, this set-piece raises the question: Will this be the second last gasp with regards to the ninth goal of this electrifying match?
And that’s all. The match is now over with the final whistle blowing up. At the end of the day, the game at Stamford Bridge was crowned with the thrill of an eight-score marathon (4-4). However, it took some time for the match to catch fire as Haaland converted a 25th-minute penalty awarded after being fouled by Cucurella. Chelsea, however, bounced back with Thiago Silva heading in, then Sterling scored against his former side and put the hosts 2-1 up.
Manchester City responded with resilience. Akanji scored an equalizer with his header as the first half went into added time, and then Haaland followed up with his second goal taking the lead for the champions at 3-2. However, Chelsea responded and Jackson tied the score to 3-3. With only four minutes left on the clock, it looked as if Rodri had hit the final nail by shooting and having it bounce off Thiago Silva and make it 4-3 for City.
Nonetheless, the game ended in a 1-1 scoreline after an enthralling affair reflecting all it means to be a spectacle of the English Premier League.