Live Premier League: Newcastle vs Crystal Palace Updates
Live Premier League: Newcastle vs Crystal Palace Updates
The 2023/24 Premier League season has begun, and you can stay updated on all the matches and goals right here with The Independent.
Newcastle finds themselves in the eighth position in the table after playing eight games. They've made a strong comeback after a rough start to the season, currently enjoying a four-match unbeaten streak. Among these four games, they secured three consecutive wins, including an impressive 8-0 victory against Sheffield United. In their most recent match before the international break, they played to a 2-2 draw against West Ham.
Crystal Palace's performance this season could have been more consistent. They have won three games, drawn three, and suffered two losses. Interestingly, they have yet to replicate the same result in back-to-back games. In their most recent match, they played to a goalless draw against Nottingham Forest.
Let's take a look at today's match: Newcastle vs Crystal Palace.
As the game is about to begin, the teams are in the tunnel, ready to head out onto the pitch for kick-off at a packed St. James' Park!
- In the 3rd minute, A promising start for Newcastle as Trippier plays a clever ball behind the defense, which Murphy chases down. It's eventually cleared for a corner kick.
- In the 6th minute, Murphy appeared to score with a lobbed effort that resembled a cross. However, the offside flag has been raised, and a review is underway to determine the validity of the goal.
- The goal in the 7th minute! The goal stands! Newcastle takes the lead, making it 1-0 after a lengthy VAR review.
- In the 9th minute, Crystal Palace comes close to an immediate response. Mateta rises highest from a corner and heads the ball into the ground, narrowly missing the target.
- In the 11th minute, Newcastle made an incredibly positive start to the game, with Trippier and Murphy playing a significant role down the right channel. However, Trippier and Mitchell collided during the match, with the Newcastle right-back attempting to shake off a limp following a heavy tackle.
- In the 13th minute, Newcastle earns another corner as Murphy delivers a dangerous cross that is initially scuffed clear by Andersen. Eventually, Palace concedes a corner. Newcastle is on the attack and looking to capitalize on their momentum. It's taken 12 minutes, but the first chant for Tonali has just rippled around the Gallowgate corner, creating a moment of excitement among the fans.
- In the 24th minute, Newcastle is performing admirably so far, and without trying to jinx it, they are playing well in the match. Palace has attempted to advance, but they have yet to test Pope in the Newcastle goal truly. The Magpies have been handling everything efficiently up to this point.
- When it comes to attacking, the home side is a threat, with Trippier playing a pivotal role in orchestrating their moves.
- What happened in the 26th minute? It's almost 2-0 for Newcastle! Murphy comes close to getting his second goal. Longstaff takes a quick free-kick and finds Murphy, whose low shot is parried away by Johnstone. Newcastle is continuing to apply pressure.
- In the 29th minute, There is a tremendous round of applause as Sandro Tonali comes out to warm up, indicating strong support from the fans.
- In the 35th minute, Newcastle is creating another significant chance, but they need help to convert from six yards out. Trippier reaches the byline and chips a ball over Johnstone. Wilson makes the connection from close range, but he's sandwiched between two Palace defenders and fails to find the target with his header. Newcastle is knocking on the door, looking for that second goal.
- In the 40th minute, Longstaff was shown a yellow card as the Newcastle midfielder used his arm to obstruct Mitchell, preventing him from taking a throw-in.
- In the 44th minute, There's a chance for Longstaff as Schar dribbles through a crowd of three or four Palace players and delivers a pass through to Longstaff. However, the Newcastle midfielder lets the ball bounce and takes a swing at it but fails to make contact, and the Palace defense clears the danger.
- What a GOAL??? In the 45th minute, it's a GOAL for Gordon! It has been building up, and now Newcastle leads 2-0 against Palace. Gordon with the goal!
- In the 48th minute, GOAL! It's Longstaff this time! Just before half-time, Newcastle scores their third goal with ease, making it 3-0!
- Palace is absolutely shaken as a long ball over the top puts Guehi in a difficult position. His heavy touch allows Longstaff to capitalize on the opportunity. Longstaff surges into the box and buries the ball beyond Johnstone to extend Newcastle's lead.
- In the 52nd minute, it's half-time at St. James' Park, and Newcastle has made it look easy so far. A fine first-half performance by the home side.
The second half begins!!!
- In the 52nd minute, Guimaraes advances with the ball but gets tackled before passing it to Murphy on the right. The ball then goes to Gordon, but neither Gordon, Wilson, nor Longstaff manage to take a shot before it's cleared, despite having enough time.
- In the 57th minute, it's a blocked shot! Crystal Palace's full-backs work together. Mitchell skillfully delivers Ward's long cross-field pass across the goalmouth. Edouard takes a quick shot, but Lascelles intervenes, blocking the attempt and giving away a corner.
- In the 58th minute, it's a shot blocked! Crystal Palace's full-backs team up. Ward sends a long pass across the field, and Mitchell expertly delivers it in front of the goal. Edouard takes a swift shot, but Lascelles steps in, denying the attempt and forcing a corner kick.
- In the 66th minute, it's a GOAL! It's the fourth one! After Doucoure made a nice save, Pope quickly sent the ball forward. Trippier sets Murphy free in open space. With Palace's defense stretched thin, Murphy sends a sharp pass to Wilson. The Magpies swiftly move from one end of the pitch to the other, and with a 4-0 lead, they've sealed the deal here.
- In the 69th minute, Guimaraes is substituted, and Sandro Tonali, who's been in the news for off-field betting matters, takes his place on the field, replacing the Brazilian player.
- In the 70th minute, Gordon, who has performed exceptionally well for Newcastle in this match, is now substituted, and Miguel comes in to take his position on the wing.
- In the 74th minute, it's a near miss! Palace earns a corner kick, and Ayew flicks it on at the front post. Doucoure tries to follow up with a shot from outside the box, but it gets blocked and falls to Guehi. Unfortunately, Guehi's close-range attempt goes wide. This sequence of play reflects the Eagles' performance today, as they are struggling and not performing at their best.
- In the 75th minute, it's saved! Newcastle launches a swift counter-attack, with Almiron breaking through toward the goal. Mitchell does well to push him wide, and Almiron's shot from the Paraguayan is right at Johnstone, who makes a straightforward save.
- In the 80th minute, Joelinton's hardworking performance has been somewhat unnoticed for Newcastle. Now, in the last 10 minutes of the match, Elliot Anderson comes in to replace the Brazilian player.
- In the 84th minute, it's saved! The Eagles earn a free kick from 25 yards out, and Edouard decides to take it. His shot looks like it's heading for the top corner, but Pope stretches out and uses his big right hand to tip the ball past the post, making a crucial save.
- It's the 89th minute, and we are about to find out the winner. We're approaching the 90th minute, and Newcastle is on the verge of securing a comfortable victory. The difficult start to the season with three consecutive losses now feels like a distant memory, especially with the prospect of four wins in the last five matches. It's a great time for Newcastle fans.
- In the 90th minute, it's blocked! Palace launches a late counter-attack, and Franca passes the ball to Rak-Sakyi. Rak-Sakyi dribbles past Schar and takes a shot from a narrow-angle. However, the Magpies defender slides in just in time to make a crucial block.
- In the 93rd minute, there's a pause in the game due to an injury to Palace forward Edouard, who is down in Newcastle's penalty area getting medical attention. Thankfully, he's back on his feet now, and we're ready to resume play.
And the game is over!
The final whistle blows and Newcastle bounces back with an impressive 4-0 win against Crystal Palace! Most of the damage was done in the first half with three goals, and the second half followed a similar pattern, with Newcastle controlling the game and creating most of the chances. Despite some early blocks by Palace, Eddie Howe's team scored their fourth goal in the 66th minute as Callum Wilson completed a quick counter-attack.