Liverpool vs Nott’m Forest: Here’s how your Sunday is going to look like!
After a promising start to their Premier League campaign, Nottingham Forest has struggled to maintain momentum and currently finds themselves winless in their last five games, sitting just five points above the relegation zone in 15th place. Their performance away from the City Ground has been particularly concerning, with only one league win on the road since January, a surprising victory over Chelsea earlier this season.
On the other hand, their opponents have rebounded from a trophyless season last year to a strong start this season. They have tasted defeat only once in their first 13 games, propelling them to fourth in the league standings. A win in this match would see them close the gap to league leaders Tottenham to just three points, fueling hopes among fans for a season filled with silverware.
Let’s take a look at the match highlights:
- In the 1st minute, the match has officially begun as the hosts initiate the first kick, setting the game into motion!
- In the 7th minute, Liverpool holds an impressive unbeaten record against Nottingham Forest in their last 24 home league games at Anfield, securing 19 wins and five draws since their last defeat in February 1969. The encounters between these two teams at Anfield have been particularly high-scoring, with a total of 23 goals netted in the last four matches, averaging 5.8 goals per game. Of these, Liverpool has claimed the lion's share with 16 goals, while Forest has managed to score seven times.
- In the 17th minute, Cooper's team has only managed to secure one away victory this season, a notable triumph at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea. In that match, they displayed resilient defending and capitalized on the counterattack, ultimately securing the win with Elanga's goal. The question now is whether they can replicate that performance and secure a similar result in this match against Liverpool.
- In the 19th minute, the first booking of the match goes to Alexander-Arnold for a late challenge on Aina, who was attempting to clear the ball upfield for the visiting team.
- In the 26th minute, Liverpool currently has the upper hand in the match, enjoying more possession and control. However, Nottingham Forest's defense has been effective in limiting Liverpool to long-range attempts and half-chances, preventing clear-cut scoring opportunities thus far.
- In the 31st minute, it’s a goal! Jota puts Liverpool in the lead! A quick and precise sequence of passes by the hosts culminates with Salah delivering a well-timed throughball to Nunez, who takes a shot on goal. Turner, the Forest goalkeeper, manages to make the initial save, but he can only parry the ball back into a dangerous area. Jota seizes the opportunity and calmly taps in the rebound, giving Liverpool a 1-0 lead in the match!
- In the 33rd minute, Mangala receives a yellow card after committing a foul on Jota in the midfield area.
- In the 35th minute, it’s a goal! Nunez extends Liverpool's lead to 2-0! Jota initiates the play by finding Szoboszlai in midfield, and the Hungarian midfielder executes a beautiful one-two with Salah. Szoboszlai manages to deliver a well-placed cross, and Nunez positions himself in the middle to confidently slot the ball into the net, firmly establishing Liverpool's dominance in the match!
- In the 40th minute, Liverpool is relentlessly pushing forward in search of a third goal that could potentially seal the fate of this game. Turner, Nottingham Forest's goalkeeper, is called into action twice in quick succession to thwart Gravenberch and then Szoboszlai. The second save, in particular, was a remarkable stop to deny Szoboszlai's powerful and goal-bound effort, keeping Forest's hopes alive.
- In the 45+3 minute, Liverpool boasts an incredible record at Anfield, having lost just one of their last 46 Premier League games at the venue. That solitary defeat came in a 2-1 loss to Leeds United on October 29 last year. Their unbeaten streak at home extends to 16 games since then, comprising 13 wins and 3 draws. The ongoing performance suggests that Liverpool is well on their way to extending this remarkable record in the current match.
- In the 50th minute, Nottingham Forest has experienced a notable shift in their recent form, having not recorded consecutive draws in any of their first 44 games upon their return to the Premier League between August 2022 and September 2023. However, they have now drawn all three of their games in October. It's worth noting that Forest has not registered four consecutive league draws since January 2016, and it appears that this streak is poised to continue in the current match.
- In the 52nd minute, Dominguez commits a cynical foul by dragging back Alexander-Arnold and is subsequently shown a yellow card by the referee.
- In the 58th minute, Mac Allister receives a yellow card after committing a foul on Gibbs-White in midfield, halting the opponent's progress.
- In the 67th minute, Liverpool has maintained an impressive record at Anfield in the Premier League when facing teams whose names begin with the letter 'N.' They haven't suffered a home defeat against such teams since a 1-0 loss to Norwich City in April 1994. In the subsequent 40 matches against 'N' teams at Anfield, Liverpool has remained undefeated, securing 33 wins and seven draws during this remarkable run.
- In the 77th minute, it’ a goal! Salah seals the victory for Liverpool with a composed finish, making it 3-0! Turner, the Forest goalkeeper, commits a critical error as he rushes out of his goal to intercept Szoboszlai's lofted ball upfield. Unfortunately for Turner, he misjudges the bounce of the ball, allowing Salah to capitalize on the mistake. Salah remains composed and finishes calmly, all but securing the three points for Liverpool with this goal!
- In the 82nd minute, Gakpo makes a skillful move, shifting onto his right foot before launching a powerful drive aimed at the bottom corner of the goal. However, his shot veers wide of the target, striking the side-netting rather than finding the back of the net for Liverpool.
- In the 86th minute, Elanga, a former Manchester United player, connects perfectly with Yates' deep cross at the back post. His left-footed volley is struck sweetly, but unfortunately for Forest, the ball smacks against the crossbar and stays out of the net, denying them a goal-scoring opportunity.
- In the 90th minute, Sangare receives a yellow card after fouling Gakpo as Liverpool was launching a counter-attack. This booking is a result of the foul committed by Sangare in an attempt to halt the opposing player's progress.
- In the 90+4 minute, Goal! Gakpo extends Liverpool's lead to 4-0 in the dying moments of the match! In a finely crafted sequence of play, Elliott delivers a low, driven cross across the face of the goal. Gakpo positions himself in the middle and nudges the ball into the net to seal the resounding victory for Liverpool! However, there will be a VAR check to ensure the goal is valid.
- The goal is disallowed! Upon reviewing the replays, it becomes evident that Gakpo was in an offside position by a considerable margin when he scored. As a result, the goal is ruled out, and the score remains 3-0 in favor of Liverpool.
The full-time whistle signals the end of the match, with Liverpool securing a comfortable 3-0 victory over Nottingham Forest at Anfield. Jota kickstarted their journey to three points by converting the rebound from Nunez's initial shot, and Nunez himself found the net just four minutes later, capitalizing on Szoboszlai's cross to give the hosts a commanding lead at halftime.
Any hopes of a Forest comeback were dashed after the break when Turner made a critical mistake in misjudging Szoboszlai's long ball, which Salah capitalized on to seal the win. This result propels Liverpool to 23 points, just three behind league leaders Tottenham. Meanwhile, Nottingham Forest's winless streak extends to six games, a situation that Cooper will be eager to address as they sit just five points above the relegation zone. Thank you for joining us, and goodbye!