Sheffield Utd vs Wolves: Can Wolves Make Their Sixth Unbeaten Match Today!
Sheffield Utd vs Wolves: Can Wolves Make Their Sixth Unbeaten Match Today!
Wolves have been on a strong run in the Premier League, remaining unbeaten in their last five games. During this stretch, they delivered Manchester City's first defeat of the season and managed a comeback win over Bournemouth. They also secured draws in tough matches against Luton Town, Aston Villa, and Newcastle United.
Hwang Hee-chan has been a standout performer, scoring in his sixth consecutive home league game in a 2-2 draw with Newcastle. Contrary to some early season predictions that they might be fighting relegation, Wolves are comfortably mid-table in 12th place, seven points clear of the relegation zone.
In stark contrast, The Blades find themselves struggling at the bottom of the Premier League table, having gathered just one point from their first 10 games. Their only point since early September was a draw with Everton, and they've since suffered six straight defeats, including heavy losses to Newcastle United (8-0) and Arsenal (5-0), with the latter seeing Eddie Nketiah scoring a hat-trick. Sitting five points adrift of 17th place Bournemouth, they are desperately seeking their first win.
Despite hosting Wolves next, their recent home record against them is not encouraging, with three losses in their last five encounters at Bramall Lane, which equals the number of defeats they had in the 22 games prior, a period in which they won 10 and drew nine.
Let’s take a look at the match highlights:
- In the 4th minute, Cunha seizes an opportunity and darts down the right flank, successfully outpacing Robinson who can't keep up. He then attempts to set up Kalajdzic with a pass across the penalty area, but Kalajdzic doesn't make the anticipated move to receive the ball. Cunha is visibly frustrated with his teammate for the missed connection and doesn't hide his feelings on the pitch.
- In the 8th minute, Wolves are awarded a free-kick in a promising position on the left side. Doyle steps up to deliver the set piece, curling a cross into the box that sails over Kalajdzic. Lemina makes an aggressive play for the ball, but he is positioned too far ahead of the last defender. The linesman's flag is raised for offside, negating the play.
- In the 13th minute, Archer has an opportunity to initiate an offensive move following a subpar throw-in by Wolves deep inside their own half. He links up with Hamer and receives the ball back from the midfielder. However, in an attempt to involve Hamer once more, Archer's pass misses its mark, and Lemina steps in to intercept the errant pass.
- In the 19th minute, Hamer takes control of the ball on the right side and makes a determined run inward. Despite pressure from three opposing players, he retains possession before passing it to Brewster, who positions himself on the edge of the penalty area. Brewster then tries to send a pass through to Thomas, but the pass is hit with too much power, resulting in a goal-kick for Wolves.
- In the 22nd minute, the opening yellow card of the match is shown to Baldock, who is cautioned for a foul as he pulls back Kalajdzic while defending along the wing.
- In the 25th minute, Hwang and Kalajdzic combine effectively with a well-executed one-two, with Kalajdzic coming deeper to link up the Wolves' attack. Hwang exploits the space created, threading a precise throughball to Cunha on the right side of the penalty area. Cunha takes a shot, but Foderingham makes a crucial save, tipping the ball over the crossbar to deny the scoring opportunity.
- In the 29th minute, United is awarded their sixth free-kick of the match, with the ball positioned on the right side of the field. Thomas runs over the ball, allowing Hamer to deliver a cross into the penalty area. However, the Wolves' defense is alert and clears the danger by heading the ball away from the box.
- In the 33rd minute, a golden chance for Wolves to seize the lead goes begging. The visitors opt for a swift free-kick, with Kalajdzic lofting the ball over to Hwang, who finds himself inside the penalty area. Hwang manages to get past a defender but mishits his shot, resulting in a weak effort. The ball then falls to Ait-Nouri, but he struggles to redirect his shot toward the goal, ultimately missing the target.
- In the 38th minute, Wolves are mounting pressure on United's defense, and in this instance, the ball falls to Ait-Nouri, who has an opportunity to take a shot from the edge of the penalty area. However, he opts to pass to Doyle on his left but fails to find him accurately, missing a potential chance to create a scoring opportunity.
- In the 42nd minute, Wolves miss another opportunity to take a shot on goal. Dawson initiates the move with a long pass forward, locating Cunha. Cunha exhibits good control to hold up the ball and then cleverly sets up Semedo with a pass into the box. Despite having a chance to shoot, Semedo opts to pass to Kalajdzic on his left, but United's defense intercepts the pass and clears the danger.
- In the 45+2 minute, Brewster manages to leave the field on his own, despite suffering an injury a few moments ago. He is substituted out and replaced by McAtee, who will be on the pitch for the remaining minutes before halftime.
- In the 46th minute, a promising beginning for United as Hamer embarks on an attacking run, delivering a well-timed pass down the left to Archer. Archer cuts inside and unleashes a shot that curls across the goal and aims for the top corner, but unfortunately, it sails just over the crossbar.
- In the 49th minute, the Blades continue to apply pressure, with Bogle sending a curved pass down the right to McAtee. McAtee makes a move inside and is fouled by Dawson, who receives a yellow card from the referee as a result of the challenge.
- In the 53rd minute, the home fans are energizing the atmosphere, and after Robinson's throw-in deflects off Kalajdzic and goes out, it results in a corner for United. Hamer takes the corner kick, but Wolves successfully clear the ball out of danger.
- In the 58th minute, Bogle utilizes his speed to maneuver the ball past Doyle and then quickly changes direction. Doyle, unable to keep up, fouls Bogle on the edge of the penalty area, earning himself a yellow card from the referee.
- In the 61st minute, O'Neil makes his first substitution of the game, with Kalajdzic, who has scored two goals as a substitute previously, making way for Bellegarde. This change sees Cunha taking on the role of leading the attack for Wolves.
- In the 68th minute, Wolves have been in good form recently, going unbeaten in their last five Premier League matches, with two wins and three draws. Their current unbeaten streak is their longest since a run of eight games without a loss between February and June 2020. While they were in control before halftime, it seems they have faced some challenges in regaining momentum since the game resumed.
- In the 70th minute, Doyle delivered a couple of promising free-kicks into the box before halftime, but he also received a yellow card during the match. Despite starting ahead of Traore, he is now being substituted out for a midfielder.
- In the 72nd minute, a thrilling moment for the home team! Toti attempts to clear the ball, but his clearance hits McAtee. Archer seizes the loose ball and hammers a shot from the edge of the box that rattles off the crossbar and into the net. The crowd erupts as United takes a 1-0 lead!
- In the 74th minute, United has secured an early lead, but they must remain vigilant as Wolves have shown resilience recently. Wolves managed to avoid defeat in their last two Premier League matches, even after falling behind in both (winning one and drawing one). This marks a significant improvement, considering they had lost 12 out of their previous 13 games when trailing in matches before this recent change of fortunes (with only one draw to their credit). So, while United has the lead, they should be aware that Wolves has displayed the ability to bounce back in recent times.
- In the 80th minute, a VAR check is conducted after a tussle between Robinson and Cunha along the left side of the field. Cunha clears the ball away and ends up falling on the United defender, and in response, Robinson kicks out at Cunha. While there isn't a significant amount of contact, the incident undergoes VAR scrutiny. Ultimately, the decision is made to allow the game to continue without any disciplinary action taken.
- In the 82nd minute, Silva receives a yellow card just 37 seconds after entering the game. He is cautioned for jumping into the back of Baldock with a challenge.
- In the 86th minute, Bellegarde delivers a corner into the penalty area, and Lemina rises highest to connect with a powerful header. His effort appears to be on target, but United manages to clear the ball away to avert the danger.
- In the 89th minute, Wolves find the back of the net! Bellegarde takes control of the ball inside the penalty area, swivels onto his right foot, and curls a shot towards the goal. His effort takes a deflection en route, altering its trajectory and eluding Foderingham in the United goal. The score is now level at 1-1!
- Hamer receives a yellow card from the referee for dissent, likely due to expressing disagreement or frustration with a decision made by the officials.
- In the 90th minute, United had intended to make a substitution, aiming to replace Hamer, but the change was delayed until after Wolves scored the equalizer. Now, Hamer is being substituted off, and Osborn is coming on as his replacement.
- In the 90+4 minute, a penalty shout arises as McAtee takes a shot from inside the box, which deflects off Lemina's body and onto his arm. A brief VAR check is conducted to assess the situation, but ultimately, the decision is made not to award a penalty, and the game continues.
- In the 90+6 minute, a penalty is awarded to United after a sequence in which Baldock possesses the ball inside the penalty area and shields it from Silva, who is positioned behind him. Silva makes contact with the back of Baldock's leg, causing the striker to go down. Following an extended VAR review, the decision is made to award a penalty. O'Neil, the Wolves manager, expresses his dissatisfaction with the call.
- In the 90+10 minute, Oliver James Norwood confidently converts the penalty, sending the ball into the net to give United the lead. The score is now in favor of United following Norwood's successful spot-kick.
And that’s it! The game time has come. Sheffield United have broken the winning strip of the unbeaten Wolves in this wonderful match. Hope you had a great time today watching the match! Stay tuned for more!