Wolves vs Newcastle: Can Newcastle defeat the undefeated Wolves today!
Wolves are on a four-match unbeaten run in the Premier League, their longest streak without defeat since January 2022. They secured this run by defeating 10-man Bournemouth last week. As a result, they have climbed comfortably into mid-table, well clear of the relegation zone. However, Wolves have earned only four points out of a possible 12 in their recent home matches at Molineux. Today, they face a team they have beaten only twice in 16 Premier League meetings.
Newcastle United is in good form, having won four of their last five Premier League matches, with clean sheets in each of those victories. This run of form has propelled them into the top six in the league. However, they faced a setback in midweek with a 1-0 loss to Borussia Dortmund at home in the Champions League, marking their first Champions League defeat in over 20 years. This loss also ended Newcastle's eight-game unbeaten streak in all competitions and a five-game winning streak at St James' Park.
Let’s see the match highlights today:
- In the 1st minute, Newcastle United, wearing their green and white colors, kick off, and the game has begun at Molineux!
- In the 7th minute, it’s a close call! With Dawson backing off, Longstaff takes the opportunity to advance and reaches the right side of the area. He fires a low shot across the goal, forcing Sa to scramble, and it narrowly misses the left-hand post!
- In the 13th minute, Lemina is fouled by Bruno Guimaraes in midfield, earning his team a free-kick. It seems like there's going to be a battle between these two midfielders today, both known for their strong work ethic.
- In the 17th minute, Gordon does a good job avoiding a challenge and nearly makes it to the left byline, but Semedo tracks back to cover. Wolves then successfully defend against Newcastle's short-corner routine, eliminating the threat.
- In the 22nd minute, Newcastle takes the lead! A mistake by Sa results in the ball being spilled inside the Wolves' area, and Wilson seizes the opportunity. Although Tote Gomes makes a miraculous block, the England striker is quick to capitalize on the rebound, making it 1-0 in favor of Newcastle at Molineux!
- In the 25th minute, once more, Semedo and Neto team up down the right flank, but Neto's cross into the area for Hwang is intercepted by Schar's header.
- In the 35th minute, a sharp stop by Pope! Semedo and Neto combine again on the right, and Neto cuts onto his preferred left foot to unleash a powerful shot that Pope has to parry away. Wolves earn a corner from this play.
- In the 36th minute, Wolves respond with a goal! Lemina leaps ahead of Trippier to connect with Neto's corner from the left, heading the ball into the net. The score is now level at 1-1!
- In the 40th minute, Trippier, known for his expertise in set-pieces, delivers a corner from the right, but the ball eludes everyone in the crowded penalty area and goes out of play.
- In the 46th minute, Newcastle United has been awarded a penalty! After consecutive corners from the left, Schar goes down in the box, claiming he was fouled by Hwang. The referee doesn't waste any time and points to the penalty spot.
- In the 47th minute, the penalty decision has been confirmed by VAR after a thorough review, and Newcastle will indeed have a spot-kick in first-half stoppage time.
- In the 49th minute, Wilson successfully converts the penalty, sending the ball into the net to the goalkeeper's left, putting Newcastle back in front just before halftime. The score is now 2-1 to the Magpies.
- In the 52nd minute, Joelinton breaks through midfield, shrugging off three challenges, but his resulting shot from 20 yards lacks power and is comfortably saved by Sa.
- In the 53rd minute, the VAR is checking a potential handball by Bruno Guimaraes after Pope rushed out of his box and Cunha lofted the ball over.
- In the 54th minute, The VAR review has determined that there was no handball by Bruno Guimaraes, so there will be no penalty for Wolves.
- In the 60th minute, Wolves are pressing for an equalizer, but they need to be cautious of Newcastle's counter-attacking threat. The Magpies have shown they can be dangerous on the break, so Wolves will need to be mindful of that as they push forward in search of a second goal.
- In the 63rd minute, Gary O'Neil is making a midfield substitution, bringing on Tommy Doyle for Adama Traore. It appears to be a tactical move to bolster the midfield and gain more control in the center of the park.
- In the 65th minute, there's a VAR check underway to determine whether there should be a penalty awarded to Wolves. The incident in question involves the ball brushing against Wilson's arm inside the box. The VAR will review the footage to make a decision.
- In the 66th minute, the VAR review concludes that there was no handball by Wilson, and as a result, no penalty is awarded to Wolves. The game will continue without a spot-kick.
- In the 75th minute, Burn receives a yellow card for dissent, as he sarcastically responds to the officials' decision to award Wolves a free-kick.
- In the 80th minute, Wolves equalize to make it 2-2! After Pope's weak punch, Tote Gomes gains possession and navigates past two defenders at the edge of the box before passing to Hwang. Hwang then cuts inside and slots it into the bottom-right corner!
- In the 83rd minute, Molineux falls silent as Neto, who has been a key playmaker for Wolves, suddenly pulls up after a burst of speed. It appears he may have injured his hamstring, and he is on the ground, clearly in discomfort, with his head in his hands.
- In the 89th minute, Trippier delivers a cross from the right side of the area, aiming for the back post, where Schar goes up to meet it. Unfortunately, the Swiss defender can only manage to glance the ball well wide of the target.
- In the 91st minute, Ait Nouri receives a yellow card, presumably for time-wasting, becoming the first Wolves player to be booked in the match.
- In the 95th minute, Wolves' goalscorer Lemina is substituted, making way for Joao Gomes in midfield.
- In the 101st minute, In the second minute of added time, which is largely due to Neto's injury, Longstaff's cross from the right is blocked, and Gordon earns a corner for Newcastle.
- In the 105th minute, Longstaff receives a yellow card for dissent towards the referee after Joelinton's foul in midfield.
- In the 108th minute, the flag is raised for offside against Ait Nouri, ending a potential attacking opportunity for Wolves.
The match at Molineux ends in a 2-2 draw, with both teams showing determination to secure a point. Callum Wilson was the standout player, scoring both of Newcastle's goals, while Hwang provided an impressive equalizer for Wolves. Despite the entertaining match, Wolves will have to play their next game without Neto due to an injury. Thank you for following along with us, and we'll see you next time!